Home Page Home Page  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 >> Next 

Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Weemansith's Vader Thread
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:09 pm 
Imperial Recruit
Cadet

Alrighty all, I am starting this little thread to begin this process on working toward my ESB Vader. As I mentioned in my initial post, I am 6'9" and have always wanted to do a Vader. Funds are tight, and I'm just getting started, so any tips, leads, helps you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to Keith (Ammonites) for the Vader lid. I'm toying with the idea of the Rubies mod; partially because of funds, and partially because I'd love to hone my skills with mods etc. Since I was able to get the lid at a good price, I won't feel so bad if it doesn't pan out :).

First, a few concerns etc... Since I am large in stature, I worry about sizing. Not so much with the soft parts, but the chest armor and shins mostly. How do I ensure that I get stuff that fits BEFORE I drop the cash into it?

I also want to be involved with the Garrison at events, but lack a costume etc. I have had some thoughts of some things I can do as I work on my Vader that I'll discuss when I meet you all later this month. In the meantime, do any of you have suggestions of a getup I could use as I work towards the Suit? I have an Anakin E3 setup that is close to done, but am not sure if I should submit that once it is complete.

I'd also love to meet with one of the Vaders here (especially with the ESB getup) so I can see with my own eyes what I need to work towards. I've been on the SLD a lot lately, but there is only so much you can get from reference pics. I'd like to look at it with my own eyes :wink:

I'm so excited to be a part of this group, and to be able to meet up with you guys! More to come!!

"You underestimate my power!... D'oh!"
"Your taste buds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!"

Post subject: Re: Weemansith's Vader Thread
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:45 pm 
Alpine Garrison Member
Special Operations Apprentice

There are tutorials out there on how to extend shins. As far as chest and should armor goes, it might just be a matter of shopping around, but as some Vaders also wear padding to build themselves up, not sure you'll have much of a problem there.

-iz

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in this post are not shared by the 501st, Alpine Garrison, or it's command staff.
2011 Spec Ops DL / First Novatrooper Elite

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:42 am 
Alpine Garrison Member
Sith Lord Master

There is a Vader in Colorado that makes shin armor anywhere from 19" to I I think it was 26" long. I would have to find his post on the SLD or the e-mail to me, because I need to get some 23" from him.

Chest armor, yes, shopping around and even trying on other is going to be your best bet. I went through 3 sets of armor before I found one that fits me good.

By the way, welcome! It will be good to have another Vader to add to the pool! I've the only ANH Vader, so far, in the Garrison, but any help I can be I'd be glad to off it! Oh and don't worry about it taking a while, I've been working on mine for near 5 years now and still not done! :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:30 am 
Imperial Recruit
Cadet

Thanks guys, I'm really excited about this, and for all the tips and info I've received so far. Lord Helmet, I'd love to visit with you and take a look at your gear sometime. Maybe looking at your gear will give me some ideas, and a better sense of sizing.

I'm getting ready to begin the lid modifications here shortly. Can't wait!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:02 pm 
Imperial Recruit
Cadet

Just put this up over on the SLD, but wanted to put it up here for the local experts to check out as well...

So I have one question as I begin my Rubies mod... On the dome, the seam along the flare on the right side is not even with, or mirror, the left side. I've been looking at tons of pics with the assumption that the seam would be the same. I know the mask is asymetrical, so I was unsure if that also went for the dome.

Here are some pics of the dome...

I was planning on making that as close to mirrored as I could, but then i saw this...

http://www.starwarshelmets.com/vader3d.htm

Look at the rear view... It has the same thing going on.

This is supposedly the 20th Century ESB. So I guess the question from the noob is (I couldn't find more definative reference pics to confirm it or not), Do I need to make that mod on the dome for ESB, or is that part ok as it is?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:01 pm 
Alpine Garrison Member
Biker Scout 1st Class

I don't think even in the movies the Vader lid was completely symmetrical until Episode III.

"Go on to your higher plane, teacher. The galaxy's mine now."
- Exar Kun

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:54 pm 
Alpine Garrison Member
Sith Lord Master

I would say your ok with it as is.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:55 pm 
Alpine Garrison Member
Special Operations Apprentice

I've never heard of a Vader requiring a dome mod. The symmetry of EPIII vader I think is odd and less threatening..

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in this post are not shared by the 501st, Alpine Garrison, or it's command staff.
2011 Spec Ops DL / First Novatrooper Elite

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:47 am 
Imperial Recruit
Cadet

So I spent some time yesterday squaring the teeth (need to find a file that will fit in the corner slots), opening the eyes, and sanding.

My eyes keep playing tricks on me with the neck flare. When I look at it with my own eyes, I think it's still out too much, but then when i compare it with other mods on SLD, it looks ok. Thoughts? Next steps are finishing the teeth, filling in gaps in the eyes, and getting the nose ridges fixed. Also, how do I correct the dimples? I know they need fixing, but have no idea of the sizing and shape that they need to be changed to. I'm sure it's simple, I just want to do it right.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:41 am 
Alpine Garrison Member
Sith Lord 1st Class

The only helmet that is symentrical is the episode III helmet. It was made using a computer so it ended up exact. The rubies is cast from an old don post mold which was cast from a movie helmet, so nothing on it lines up. The neckflare is different on the sides, the eyes are not the exact same shape, and so on.

On my Rubies i trimmed the bottom of the neck quite a bit. I did this so i could tilt my head a little more to see kids right in front of me and too keep the helmet from pushing the cape of it's hook on the chest armor

"Those who anger you control you"

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:45 pm 
Imperial Recruit
Cadet

Ok, so here's the latest update. I spent last Friday using a super powerful heat gun to work more on the neck, and a bit on the cheek piping. After having some fun with that, the first layer of Bondo got slapped on the nose. So even after tons of heat, and making the neck super pliable, it still looks like it's out more than it should be. I've got a template for a jig to make the neck perfect (thanks to SLD) but wondered if a perfect neck would fit the OT style. Here is a pic of the face and neck...

Thoughts???

Next came some work on the dome. More heat was applied, and I was able to get a little of the warp out. Added some masking tape to get our new line figured out, and that will be filled and sanded accordingly. Here are a couple pics to show the new line, and to show a little bit of the evening out on the dome. The second pic shows some roughening up (36 grit) to prepare for fiber glass to thicken up the edges.

Next is more bondo on the nose, getting the eyes prepped for sizing the lenses, and making a final decision on the neck. Should I do more, or is it alright? What do you awesome guys think?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:43 am 
Alpine Garrison Member
Sith Lord 1st Class

So far it looks great! i would primer it grey and then take a look at it. For me it's easier to spot the mistakes if i primer something grey rather than black. I am curious about the jig, can you post some pics of it?

"Those who anger you control you"

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:49 am 
Imperial Recruit
Cadet

jedijeffrey wrote:
So far it looks great! i would primer it grey and then take a look at it. For me it's easier to spot the mistakes if i primer something grey rather than black. I am curious about the jig, can you post some pics of it?

Here's a link to the thread I found it on. This guy has some sweet ideas.

http://forum.501stsithlords.com/index.p ... topic=4791

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:53 am 
Alpine Garrison Member
ARC Trooper 2nd Class

WeeManSith,

You are going through the exact same process I went through starting back in October 2005. I bought the Rubies Supreme Vader costume right when it came out, and I began the process of modifying it to be more screen accurate. At the time, I didn't know about the 501st or Star Wars Celebrations. There was only one obscure website out there showing how to make the necessary changes to the mask. Then I discovered the Jedi Council Forums, and a thread was just started on the Rubies Supreme Vader. About a dozen of us worked together to make the costume what it needed to be. That's how I learned about the 501st, and then I saw the Rose Bowl Parade, and I was committed to joining.

Here are some photos I still have from that project:

This is how the mask looked after I built out the eye area, added epoxy to the check and lip surfaces, filed down the teeth and nose slits, primed and sanded:

I had to add so many layers of primer because it kept cracking. I used different colors of primer, and it looked pretty rough:

Here is how the mask looked before I painted it:

The helmet had to be painted over and over and over, but it turned out:

I'll dig up the photos I have from when I finished it. Keep up the good work, it's gonna pay off!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:02 pm 
Imperial Recruit
Cadet

Thanks Brady! Any pics, tips, and ideas you have to help me out are greatly appreciated. I'm going for an ESB Vader (my favorite of all the Vader's from childhood). I'll be getting the jig created and ready for the neck soon. I'm so excited for this whole process. I know it'll be a long journey, but it will be so worth it. Can't wait! hope to see many of you tomorrow at Safe Kids, I'll be there with the fam for a while.

Search for:
Home Page Home Page  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 >> Next 

Time zone: America/Denver [ DST ]